Monday 11 June 2018

Bark Psychosis: Codename: DustSucker

Brace yourself, here comes the tiresome Velvet Underground analogy… Bark Psychosis were never blessed (or burdened, if you're that way inclined) with record sales. Their two albums and a handful of singles and EPs probably sold about as many copies as Ed Sheeran has sold of his latest offering while I've been typing this. Instead, they seem to have become the Grand Poohbahs of "post-rock", a slightly confusing term as doesn't "rock" have to stop before things can be "post" it? Somebody, get me the head of Semantics on the phone, right now! I digress. The point is, this most low key of bands (seriously, they make The Blue Nile seem like Kiss) are now the name to drop in certain circles. Fortunately, Bark Psychosis can back up their "seminal" status with genuinely excellent work.
Codename: Dustsucker, originally released in 2004, was the band's second album, coming hot on the heels – a mere ten years – after their debut. 2018 sees it reissued on this years cutting edge format – vinyl – as a lovely, gatefold sleeve clad, double disc set. When the album was first released, Bark Psychosis consisted of founder member Graham Sutton, a set of unspecified drum loops performed by a previous drummer and whoever else Sutton could find. Not a promising start. But guess what? Codename: Dustsucker absolutely delivers.

When one hears the term "post rock" used so vigorously about a band, one fears the worst. The best one can hope for is endless, aimless noodling with 24 bars of a tune followed by an unspecified, but probably never-ending squall of distortion and reverb devices, artlessly prodded at by pale, white boys. Bark Psychosis bring the noise, but at least they have the good manners to do something interesting with it. "From What is Said to When it's Read" is a case in point, opening with a strummed guitar and a simple bassline, it unfolds into something slow moving and lovely. In keeping with the conventions of the genre, the vocals are mixed so low that they're barely a texture. Subtle shifts and changes of emphasis keep this unassuming, mid-tempo piece moving forward and, more importantly, your attention doesn't flag for a second. Just when you think it needs a lift, along comes a blizzard of guitar noise. As opening tracks go, it's quite a statement. "The Black Meat" and "400 Winters" are almost conventional, there's the occasional shard of noise used as punctuation, but you can hear the words and whistle the tune. There's even a bit of Miles Davis trumpet action occurring. In fact, "The Black Meat" sounds like a slightly more aggressive Sade backing track, that is, until it all breaks down towards the end and then it sounds like the middle bit of "I'm Not in Love" played by people with the worst hangover they've ever had.

This is way more than background music for the "OK Computer" generation. "Miss Abuse" is genuinely unsettling with lots of ominous rumbling and an almost comical synth line combining to make something brooding and eerie, which I'm sure was exactly the point. "400 Winters" however is a soothing Slowdive-esque, languorous interlude with a gorgeous whispered vocal. It's nearly six minutes long, but it really should go on forever. Wisely, Sutton has condensed all the glitchy nonsense to one, easily skippable track. "Dr Innocuous-Ketamoid" is just over a minute of what sounds like Velcro fastenings being ripped open while someone pounds out a marching beat in the next room while holding down a key on a malfunctioning Moog synthesizer. The next track, "Burning the City" sounds a bit like Nick Drake. Go figure, as the young people say.


On Codename: Dustsucker, Bark Psychosis have got the balance exactly right. There's enough weirdness to capture and hold your attention and enough structure and melodicism to keep the tunes memorable. It's also beautifully produced – a good, old fashioned headphones album. You too can join the ranks of beard-stroking tastemakers everywhere by owning this album and talking about it loudly in public. The great thing about it is that it's also a genuinely fine piece of work.

5 comments:

  1. This is a testimony that I will tell everyone to hear. i have been married for 4 years and on the fifth year of my marriage, another woman had a spell to take my lover away from me and my husband left me and the kids and we have suffered for 2 years until i meant a post where this man Dr.Wealthy have helped someone and i decided to give him a try to help me bring my love Husband home and believe me i just send my picture to him and that of my husband and after 48 hours as he have told me, i saw a car drove into the house and behold it was my husband and he have come to me and the kids and that is why i am happy to make everyone of you in similar issues to meet with this man and have your lover back to your self His email: wealthylovespell@gmail.com or you can also contact him or whatsapp him on this +2348105150446.....  thank so much Dr.Wealthy. ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The name 'Dr Wealthy' is a giveaway as to how much of a scam this is!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Going through a divorce case is very heart broken when you love your partner with the whole of your heart.. My husband left me for a total stranger and I could not imagine what the hell was happening because everything looks like a dream to me. I was lost and confused about my life without any way to get a solution to make my husband see reasons with me that I love him so much. I was very depressed and desperate to win back my husband and I searched on GOOGLE for help about my situation and I got recommended to Dr. Ayoola who is a powerful spell caster for he has so many magnificent testimonies and reviews on the internet from different people all over the world. I got in touch with him and I poured out my sorrowful heart to him and he encouraged and promised to help me out. He gave me some instructions of which a adhered to and within 48 hours of contacting Dr. Ayoola my attorney called me to get me informed that the divorce case has been cancelled and I got a call from my husband 30 minutes after I finished speaking to my attorney. My husband and I are so much in Love with endless care and happiness and I so much thank Dr. Ayoola for doing this for me and I know people out there might also need their partner or lovers back or want to get pregnant for your partner or husband. So, you can Text & WhatsApp Dr. Ayoola on +31684065675 or email him via: ( drayoolasolutionhome@gmail.com ) for a change of story in your love life.. He is the best spell caster that can help you with your problems Or website https://drayoolasolutionhome.com/ OR YOU CAN MESSAGE HIM ON HIS FACEBOOK PAGE https://www.facebook.com/Dr-Ayoola-105640401516053/

    ReplyDelete